Friday 23 October 2020

The New Normal

 

The New Normal! I must admit I’m not a huge fan of this newly coined phrase. Primarily because it insinuates that a sense of abnormalcy existed earlier. In my head, the phrase conjures up an image of a errant employee trying to gloss over past mistakes and grovelling to get that promotion. But let’s accept it; we are stuck with it! Corporates are flaying it, enterprising startups are shining through with it and yet some individuals are hiding behind it. However, plainly speaking, the oft used sobriquet does wring out much needed hope-filled sentiments of a better future! So I shall put aside my dislike for the phrase and eat ‘humble pie’, that I learnt to make over the lockdown period...a flaky crust filled with tart humility!


Now getting back to what lies ahead for us.... do you think the ‘new normal’ paints a rose-bush lined path towards a happy future?!


A future, where there will be no masks hiding half our visage and that of our fellow human beings. 

“Is that..? Probably not! I won’t wave back at him. What if he has mistaken me for someone else. Wait, he’s walking towards me. I’ll just give a tiny wave. Bloody hell, that’s my ex! I knew I shouldn’t have waved!!!” 


A time, where we will not suffer a fit when we hear a muffled cough behind us. 

“Quick! Check the distance. Is there a 6 feet gap between me and the cough bandit! Do I have to rush back home to have yet another bath and steam my innards!?” 


A world, where the morning news will not run a perennial bottom scroll with the no. of covid 19 deaths worldwide.

 “Have you see the numbers for New York? Or even Melbourne for that matter. It skyrocketing.” 

Nope, we aren’t discussing the real estate rates. We are talking about the statistics of people succumbing to the China virus, as Trump calls it!


A sitch, where the nondescript uncle-next-door gets famous, because of his lab test reports. 

“Did you hear about Mr. Batra? Oh no. He’s not an underworld don in hiding. The police took him to the isolation ward for quarantine after his trip to Dubai.”


A society, that doesn’t need to panic after shaking hands with acquaintances; that can hug loved ones without second thoughts; kiss it’s sweethearts’ lips and not the cold smooth screens during a video call; hold hands and dance in unison, ushering in festive days and travel with abandon without donning n95 masks, visors, and PPE suits. 

“Darling, I’m so excited we are finally able to go on our honeymoon.”

“Umm, janoo you packed protection right?”

“Of course my dear. We agreed that we are not ready for babies yet.” 

“Janoo, I actually meant the sanitiser, disinfectant spray and mouthwash!!!”


A vocabulary, where ‘being positive’ actually means having optimistic feelings; not living in fear of being mistaken for having contracted the novel coronavirus! The evolving vocabulary displays a surging popularity of the term ‘immunity’, a pet term eagerly adopted by all marketing departments especially in the FMCG sector to help flagging sales. 

“Beta, eat up your papad, even the crumbs. It boosts antibodies and in turn your immunity.”

“Ma, don’t sell immunity papad to me. Next you will be telling me to wash my hair in rasam, for that healthy shine.”


Let’s face it. There’s been nothing normal about 2020. Lethal viruses from overseas, raging forest fires, flash floods, political uprisings, racism backlash, social distancing, home schooling, work from home, overworked NCB and whatnot. I’m sure you’d all agree when I say we are reaching the point where we will happily accept any kind of normal - old or new! 


-Anuradha Venkatnarayan

4 comments:

Sush said...

Loved it. Tarty tangy with the right amount of zing.

Sudsy said...

Still wondering what was novel about the coronavirus😂😂😂 Good one Anu👌🏼

@venues said...

Sweet humble pie!!!

@venues said...

One of a kind!! Brought us all to our knees. I guess that’s the novelty!!